Sunday, June 16, 2019

Recipe #102: Peppermint Chocolate Muffins

Peppermint Chocolate Muffins
The next muffin type on the "P" list was peppermint, so I looked for peppermint muffin recipes. Not surprisingly, the recipes I found were chocolate muffins with peppermint. I thought that sounded pretty darn good, so I chose Hot Chocolate Peppermint Muffins from the website, One Sweet Mess.

This was a pretty impressive recipe, though I did make a few changes. Instead of butter and coconut oil, I used 1/3 cup oil, and instead of buttermilk I used yogurt and milk combined. I used regular salt instead of kosher salt, and I left out the espresso powder as well as the mini marshmallows. I substituted semi-sweet mini chips for the dark chocolate chips. And because I wanted the peppermint flavor to be front and center (they are, after all, peppermint chocolate muffins), I decided to add a half teaspoon of mint extract and only one teaspoon of vanilla. And though the recipe called for the 1/3 cup of peppermint chips to be sprinkled on top of the muffins only, I used 1/2 cup peppermint chips and added the extra to the batter. Finally, I added a half cup of walnuts.

They were delicious! So good, in fact, my husband has decided these would be the ones he would request for his birthday! They were not too sweet, they were moist and slightly chewy, the peppermint flavor was just right, and the peppermint chips inside melted to small red sweet dots that looked and tasted good! My tasters loved them.

I will be making these again soon! Rating: 5 out of 5

Next "P" Muffin: Persimmon.

No comments:

Post a Comment