Friday, July 27, 2018

Recipe #66: Heirloom Muffins

Heirloom Muffins
Heirloom Muffins, as it turned out, are a particular kind of muffin with raisins being the principal ingredient. Yet they are not just any raisin, but raisins soaked or simmered in liquid to make them plump up prior to being incorporated into the batter. In the recipes I consulted, the liquid is most often water, but in the recipe included in the book, 201 Muffins, the liquid was brandy. I ended up using a couple of recipes: an Heirloom Muffins recipe and a Rum Raisin Recipe to come up with the approximation of the book's recipe.

I decided to soak the raisins in a mixture of triple sec and Drambuie over night. They did plump up nicely and gave the muffins texture and a nice flavor. I used a mixture of whole wheat and all-purpose flour which gave them a heartier heft. Otherwise they were a rather plain muffin, but good tasting. My tasters enjoyed them, as did I.

I rate these 5 out of 5.

Next up: Hawaiian Muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment