Monday, July 3, 2017

Recipe #26: Chocolate Chip-and-Orange Muffins

Chocolate Chip-and-Orange Muffins
I had high hopes for this recipe. The ingredients sounded great: mini-chocolate chips, orange zest, heavy cream, triple sec liqueur. But the muffins did not turn out well, although I'm not sure why. The batter was too thick to begin with--not enough liquid, once again, I'm guessing. But the inclusion of 1/2 cup of oil plus 3/4 cup heavy cream made the muffins quite fatty. I decided not to add liquid, even though the batter was the consistency of cookie or biscuit dough. For once I was going to find out what happens when I go with the original recipe.

Well, I won't be doing that again. The recipe as-is produced muffins that were--no surprise--more like biscuits or cookies. When I first took them out of the oven at the prescribed time, they were quite gooey. Since I didn't want gooey muffins, I baked them for about ten minutes more. They came out less gooey, but then they were dry and crumbly. *Sigh!*

The flavor was good, however, so we will eat them, but they were a disappointment. My tasters agreed that the chocolate chips were good but otherwise, the muffins were not that great.

I rate these muffins 3 out of 5.

Alas! I'm starting to wonder about this book. I hope I start to have some good luck with future recipes or I may have to give up this project!

No comments:

Post a Comment