Monday, July 22, 2019

Recipe #106: Pomegranate Muffins

Pomegranate Muffins
For the next "P" muffin on my list, pomegranate muffins, I chose a recipe that used pomegranate juice only. Apparently, people do eat pomegranate seeds (oddly), but that prospect did not appeal to me, so I decided juice would have to do. I chose the recipe Cranberry Pomegranate Muffins from the website Kirbie's Cravings. Though the first ingredient is cranberry, pomegranate juice (2/3 cup) is also prominently featured, despite its being a pomegranate-cranberry mixture. The recipe uses 1 cup of dried cranberries, but I decided that was going to be too sour (the pomegranate juice itself is pretty tart), so I added a half cup of dates and reduced the cranberries to 1/2 cup. I also added 1/2 cup of walnuts and used oil in place of butter. For the flour, I used one cup of white whole wheat flour and one cup of all-purpose flour.

The muffins turned out moist, sweet and hearty. We all thought they were delicious! The only comment I have on the flavor is that I really couldn't taste the pomegranate, which makes me wonder whether pomegranate has a distinctive flavor. Though drinking pomegranate juice seems to be a fad at the moment, it must be for reasons other than taste. Considering how expensive it is, I probably won't be buying any more of the juice, though I might make additional batches of pomegranate muffins in the future, at least until the juice I have runs out.

I rate these muffins 5 out of 5.

Next: Pineapple Muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment