Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Recipe #85: Nutmeg Muffins

Nutmeg Muffins
The recipe in 201 Muffins was a little plain--basic muffins with nutmeg seasoning. So I chose a recipe that I could add nuts to: Nutmeg Muffins, from the Taste of Home website. This recipe called for a streusel topping that was taken from the initial butter-flour mixture. I didn't want to do it that way so I mixed all the ingredients together, leaving me with an extra 3/4 cup of butter and flour that was supposed to have been topping. Well, that probably was not the smartest thing to do, but the muffins turned out okay anyway. I used oil instead of butter and a little bit more buttermilk than the recipe called for to compensate for the extra flour. I also added walnuts, and in lieu of the streusel topping, I used a brown sugar-walnut-mini chocolate chip crunch topping. The muffins came out a bit dry (not surprisingly), but they tasted pretty good nonetheless.

I wouldn't use this recipe again and probably would use a recipe that has a more common method of combining ingredients.

My tasters liked the muffins, especially the strong nutmeg flavor (I used 2.5 teaspoons of nutmeg), which I also enjoyed.

I rate these muffins 4 out of 5, just because the method was too complicated and my alterations to it were not completely successful.

Next up: We begin the "O" muffins with Oatmeal-Jam Muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment