Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Recipe #74: Irish Coffee Muffins

Irish Coffee Muffins
I was surprised to find a number of recipes on line for Irish Coffee Muffins (the recipe in 201 Muffins). Most had Kahlua as well as Irish Whiskey, but since I didn't have Kahlua, I chose a recipe that used plain coffee instead of coffee liqueur. This recipe, Irish Coffee Muffins, came from the website, Upstate Ramblings. It uses coffee instead of coffee liqueur, and Irish Whiskey. The flour called for was not specified, so I decided to use graham flour; and in place of the sour cream, I used buttermilk, and then added 3 T margarine to compensate for the lack of fat in the buttermilk. I also added walnuts, not called for in the recipe.

The muffins came out browner than the ones pictured on the website, and the darker flour made for a heartier muffin. They didn't take nearly as long to bake as the recipe suggested--only 16 minutes as opposed to the 20 given in the recipe--but I'm finding that's the case with most recipes, perhaps due to my oven or possibly the size of my muffin tins.

These were not overly sweet and were quite good. I could barely taste the whisky and coffee, however, perhaps due to the whole wheat pastry flour's strong flavor.

My tasters enjoyed them, and I would make these muffins again, certainly.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

Next up: Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment