Friday, August 10, 2018

Recipe #68: Herbal Muffins with Polenta

Herbal Muffins with Polenta
Finding a suitable substitute for this 201 Muffins recipe was a little challenging. I'd never heard of using polenta in baking, so I had to learn about the grain. It's actually corn grits, so not so unusual as I thought. I finally ended up using a recipe from a British website called The Flexitarian, and since these muffins were supposed to be savory rather than sweet, I chose a vegetarian recipe, Olive & Red Pepper Polenta Muffins. Since the book's recipe used onions, I substituted the red pepper in the online recipe with onions, and instead of the cheddar cheese called for in the recipe, I used mozzarella cheese. I kept the olives but substituted green olives. Then I used Italian seasoning mixture in place of the thyme. I sprinkled a few sunflower seeds on top for added texture. I called them Italian Corn Muffins.

They came out rather well, I'd say. In fact, they were delicious, though rather spicy--in a good way. My tasters enjoyed them. I would definitely make these muffins again, perhaps more closely adhering to the online recipe.

I rate these muffins 5 out of 5.

Next: High Fiber Muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment