Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Recipe #37: Cornflake-Pecan Muffins

This recipe called for corn flakes as part of the dry ingredients, with the addition of pecans and allspice. I couldn't find a recipe that was equivalent to the one in 201 Muffins, but I found one on the Kellogg's website, Corn Flake Crumbs Muffins, that used corn flakes as a main ingredient so went with that one.

But since the recipe was so plain sounding, I decided to make them a bit more substantial with the addition of oat bran. I used walnuts instead of pecans (I didn't have pecans), added chopped up cherries, and didn't add any spices.

However, the recipe I chose called for four cups of corn flakes, though that seemed like a lot of corn flakes to me. As it turned out, it was too many (Kellogg's corn flakes are perhaps lighter than the store brand flakes I used), as the corn flake flavor was overwhelming. The addition of all those fibrous ingredients made the muffins quite chewy, if healthier. I also added more sugar than the recipe called for, but that didn't really help much in making the muffins sweeter.

All in all, I wasn't happy with these muffins. I don't know if my additions caused the problem, but I won't be using corn flakes in muffins anymore, as the flavor was reminiscent (in my mind) of pet food.

My tasters declared them "just okay," or "not bad," so I am giving them a rating of 2 out of 5.

I might have better luck with the next offering: Cornbread Muffins with Berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment