Saturday, March 25, 2017

Recipe #13: Blackberry Muffins

Blackberry Muffins
These muffins were somewhat plain, but they had big blackberries in them that made them a little bit sweeter.

The recipe was a bit strange, though, at least for me. It called for egg whites, beaten stiff, into which the blackberries were folded. Once that was done, the egg white mixture was to be blended with the rest of the batter. However, that batter was rather stiff and didn't yield to the egg white mixture very well, so the egg whites were quite flat by the time they were forced into the batter. That left me wondering why egg whites were used in that way when the result was the same as it would have been if the eggs were left whole.

Another strange aspect of this recipe was that it said it would make 5 to 6 muffins of the standard 2.75 inch size. When I saw how much flour was being used--2 1/2 cups--I was skeptical. That much flour should produce at least a dozen muffins, I thought, and I was right. It made 6 large muffins. Why the prediction was for 5 or 6 small muffins, I can't begin to answer.

Notwithstanding recipe problems, I thought they were pretty good tasting, and my tasters declared them to be good, so I rate these muffins at 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment