Friday, May 4, 2018

Recipe #56: Fresh Pumpkin Muffins

Fresh Pumpkin Muffins
This recipe called for fresh pumpkin (that is, not canned or pureed) to be grated into the batter, much like carrots or zucchini. That was kind of interesting to me, but I had a hard time finding a recipe that used fresh pumpkin.

I did eventually locate a recipe on the web from Recipe Link, Grated Pumpkin Muffins, but then I had the problem of finding the ingredient needed: fresh pumpkin. Only at Halloween or Thanksgiving, it seems, are there pumpkins available.

So, I decided (upon considering the internet community's suggestions) to substitute an autumn vegetable that was available: sweet potatoes! I know, that seems an unlikely alternative, but it actually worked out great and gave the muffins a wonderful texture and flavor (that was, in fact, not unlike pumpkin). I followed the recipe, using whole wheat pastry flour and adding raisins. I also used applesauce instead of oil and added pecans.

They turned out great and I believe I would make them again. My tasters agreed!

I rate these 5 out of 5.

Next up: Fruit Filled Muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment